"Ribbon development" during the 1920-39 period saw houses
built along several roads with more than generously long gardens. After the 2nd
World War a small municipal housing estate and several blocks of flats
(apartments) were built. Then in the 1950's came the first extensive
development of green land just at nearby Allesley Park, though separated and
distinct from the main part of Allesley Village. The 1960-1980 period saw more
residential development in the village consisting mainly of semi-detached
houses with some detached ones, bungalows and a few flats.
The only industrial activity is the large car assembly
factory and offices of Jaguar Cars, about 2 km away. However by 2006 the major
part of this car plant had been transferred elsewhere and future use of this
huge site is now in question.
Due to shortage of land and current Town Planning policies,
little development has taken place in recent years. The isolation of Allesley
from the rest of the built-up parts of Coventry by the currently protected
agricultural land known as "Coundon Wedge" will hopefully be maintained.
In the early 1990's many residents' emotions were disturbed
by the plans to create a new road splitting this delightful strip of undulating
countryside in two, in order to create a new access to the nearby large car
factory of Jaguar Cars.
Those living on the road forming the old access were
strongly in favour of the new road but many of those not so badly affected by
the traffic problems were completely against it. Many fear that its
construction will lead to the weakening of plannning policies and that housing
or other development will cause the loss of this lovely green "lung" of the
City, particularly on the eastern side