The village of Allesley, although now situated just within the
City of Coventry, still retains its separate identity and village
Situated on the western edge of the City, the settlement of
Allesley developed along the old coaching road from London to Birmingham and
This road, now the A45, forms an important route from
Birmingham to Coventry and the increasing traffic led to the by-pass being
constructed, which helped to retain the village atmosphere.
surrounding Warwickshire countryside is gently undulating agricultural land
consisting of small fields with the occasional copse or small wood. The roads
and narrow lanes are bordered by hedgerows with many mature trees of oak, ash
and sycamore mostly so that from a distance visitors always imagine they are
approaching some huge forest. Close to the village many of these fields are now
used for keeping and riding horses.
For many years Allesley was
practically self contained as far as shopping was concerned.
for many local people the commercial pressures caused by the opening of several
large hyperstores in the city led to the demise of some local
The old centre of the village contains several
attractively preserved 17th Century cottages and old houses.
On the right the Allesley Hotel now had huge modern
extensions behind this facade which has totally changed its character but the
old Rainbow Inn on the far distant right is still beautifully
The Stonehouse dates from about
"Ribbon development" during the 1920-39 period saw houses
built along several roads with more than generously long gardens. After the 2nd
World War a small municipal housing estate and several blocks of flats
(apartments) were built. Then in the 1950's came the first extensive
development of green land at Allesley Park, though separated and distinct from
the main part of Allesley Village. The 1960-1980 period saw more residential
development in the village consisting mainly of semi-detached houses with some
detached ones and a few flats.
The only industrial activity is the large car assembly factory
and offices of Jaguar Cars, about 2 km away. However iby 2006 the major part
this car plant had been transferred elsewhere and future use of this huge site
is now in question.
Due to shortage of land and current Town Planning policies,
little development has taken place in recent years. The isolation of Allesley
from the rest of the built up parts of Coventry by the currently protected
agricultural land known as "Coundon Wedge" will hopefully be maintained.
In the early 1990's many residents' emotions were disturbed by
the plans to create a new road splitting this delightful strip of undulating
countryside in two, in order to create a new access to the nearby large car
factory of Jaguar Cars.
Those living on the road forming the old access were strongly
in favour of the new road but many of those not so badly affected by the
traffic problems were completely against it. Many fear that its construction
will lead to the weakening of plannning policies and that housing or other
development will cause the loss of this lovely green "lung" of the City,
particularly on the eastern side